Casual Friday: An invention that has left many a professional bewildered. Conservative rules of dressing take a backseat on the last working day of the week (unless you’re part of the unfortunate coterie that works on Saturdays too). But the day is not one for sartorial anarchy. Business casual is both boon and bane—we are here to make sure it’s more of the former.
Professional attire is industry specific. While those working in law and finance live by the rules of formal wear, those in startups and creative fields often have more options. Think suits and Oxfords versus denim and sneakers. Unfair, isn’t it? Unfortunately, such is life and our work environs often determine what we wear. It’s important to understand where the bar is currently set before you start experimenting with glitzy ensembles. Follow our failsafe tips for a comfortable and sleek business casual look.
- Make sure your casual clothes aren’t torn, wrinkled, or stained. Casual isn’t sloppy.
- Save your sweat pants and athleisure gear for weekends and the gym.
- Add understated accessories—delicate jewels, a watch, and scarf—for a polished finish to the ensemble.
- Put away your trusty Converse. Stick to pumps and close-toed shoes for work.
Shop the look: 1. Valentino Belted Mini Dress; 2. Christian Siriano Fitted Blazer; Versace Frayed Panel Cardigan; 3. Alexander McQueen Square Frame Glasses; 4. Eggs Sheath Dress; Armani Jeans Skinny Denim; SociÃ©tÃ© Anonyme ‘The Perfect’ trousers; 5. Rupert Sanderson ‘Vanity’ Pumps; Maison Margiela Lace-up Shoes; Maryam Nassir Zadeh Maryam Leather Pumps
- Pair a sports coat with an open collared shirt or polo T-shirt for a groomed look.
- Well-cut dress slacks, corduroys, khakis, Dockers, linen, and wool flannel pants (for chilly days) are appropriate, with or without a blazer.
- Skipping the tie? Button up your shirt all the way under a blazer for a refined look.
- Opt for loafers, brogues, or derby shoes in brown or navy.
Shop the look: 1. Harvie & Hudson Pink Graph Check Classic Fit Shirt; 2. Harvie & Hudson Green Classic Fit Trousers; 3. Harvie & Huson Blue Herringbone Jacket; 4. Church’s ‘Orby’ Brogues; Paul Smith ‘Chelsea’ Ankle-Length Boots; Church’s ‘Sahara’ Boots; 5. Dolce & Gabbana Classic Belt
Whether you are dressing for an informal event or Friday, business casual ensembles display your personality without being distracting. Balance the look so that you can show off your unique aesthetic fitting in with your work environment.