A business meal or a power lunch is a test of character. Important deals have long been sealed over a delicious meal of steak and caviar (or pulao and paneer makhni). It’s an occasion for professionals to indulge in the pleasures of gastronomy while networking and building relationships. Last week, we gave you the etiquette guidelines to ace the occasion. This week we focus on dressing up in the perfect power lunch wardrobe. Whether you are the host or the guest, these tips will ensure your style quotient is just right.
The Essential Power Lunch Wardrobe
- Opt for a well-tailored suit in navy blue or charcoal black.
- Pick a light coloured shirt to go with a dark silk tie.
- Use a tie clip to keep your tie from running into the plate.
- Polished Oxfords should be worn with calf length socks.
- Match the colour of your socks to the suit for a crisp look.
- Ideally, your belt and shoes should be the same shade.
- Make sure your metals i.e. wristwatch and tie clip are coordinated.
Shop: Harvie & Hudson Grey Winchester Suit; Harvie & Hudson Blue Silk Tie; Harvie & Hudson Belt; Harvie & Hudson Merino Wool Sock; Versace Watch; Dolce & Gabbana Lace-Up Shoes; Dolce & Gabbana Shirt; Michael Kors Wallet; Hugo Boss Blazer; Eleventy Checked Shirt; Paul Smith Trousers; Crockett & Jone Oxford Shoes; Brunello Cucinelli Belt; Shinola ‘Runwell Chrono’ Watch; Paul Smith Socks
- Pick a dark skirt or pant suit paired with a silk or cotton blouse.
- Avoid plunging necklines and skinny silhouettes.
- Scarves and statement jewellery must be avoided at all costs.
- Leave behind oversized bags; carry a clutch instead.
- Closed-toed shoes—leather or fabric—with 1-to 2-inch heels are more functional choices.
- Avoid heavily patterned clothing.
- Inspect your outfit for loose threads, stains, and lint.
Shop: Larsson & Jennings Watch; Crystal-Pentagram Stud Earrings; Sergio Rossi Stiletto Pumps; Halston Heritage Blouse; Jimmy Choo Clutch; Maison Margiela Culottes; Stella McCartney Jacket; Tortoise Gold Earrings; Christian Koban Diamond Watch; Nomia Skirt; Scanlan Theodore Wrap Blouse; Jimmy Choo Pumps; Derek Lam Clutch
The key point to remember is that a power lunch is, despite the feast on the table, a meeting and not a meal. This is where your grandmother’s old-fashioned rules and table etiquette come into play.
Wondering what else you can wear or more importantly, can’t wear? Leave your questions in the comments section.